- This event has passed.
FREE Tax Prep
February 4 @ 10:00am
Need help filing your 2018 taxes? You’re in luck! HRDC is again offering FREE tax preparation by IRS-trained preparers at several locations throughout the greater Bozeman area, beginning February 4th and running through early April.
Offered by way of the VITA program, this assistance will help interested parties with both their Federal and State taxes. VITA is available to people who earn $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. These trained volunteers can help with earned income credit, child tax credit, education credits, and homeowner/renter credit.
Here’s a look at where you can get help with your 2018 taxes.
Fork & Spoon Homestyle Kitchen of Bozeman will accept walk-ins only during tax season. Drop in on Mondays between the hours of 10am and 3pm through April 8th. Fork & Spoon is located at 302 N 7th Ave.
Visit HRDC’s Bozeman office for tax help Mondays and Wednesdays between the hours of 12pm and 7pm through April 10th. These sessions are by appointment only. Call VITA staff at (406) 404-0725 to make an appointment. HRDC’s Bozeman office is located at 32 S Tracy Ave.
VITA heads to Panther territory in 2019 with sessions at the Belgrade Community Library, by appointment only. Slots are available between the hours of 3pm and 5pm on Tuesdays, February 5th and 19th, March 5th and 19th, or April 2nd. Call (406) 404-0725 to schedule your appointment. The Library is located at 106 N Broadway in Belgrade.
Over the pass? HRDC’s Livingston office will also be available for free tax prep. Sessions are available Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between the hours of 11am and 3pm through April 11th. These are also by appointment only. Call (406) 946-1167 to make an appointment.
This service will also be available to those closer to Lone Mountain with three upcoming by-appointment service dates taking place at Big Sky Community Food Bank: Tuesdays, February 12th, February 26th, and March 12th from 11am–2pm. Call (406) 995-3088 to make an appointment. The Food Bank is located at 47995 Gallatin Road.
Now that you’ve decided where you want to go, here’s what you need to bring to your tax prep session.
– Photo identification (MUST HAVE)
– Social Security cards and birth dates for each member of the family (MUST HAVE)
– W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2018
– All 1099s for other income in 2018, if applicable
– Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements, or health insurance exemption certificates
– Other tax-related documents such as: interest statements, federal loan documents, retirement statements, list of organizations to which you made charitable donations, etc.
– Childcare provider name, address, and tax ID number, and amount paid in 2018
– Banking or credit union account information
– Voided check and/or savings deposit slip for direct deposit
– Copy of last year’s tax return, if you have it
– Property tax receipts or rental receipts (for MT2EC)
Please note: if married and filing jointly, both parties MUST be present to sign the tax return.
VITA is offered annually through HRDC, a non-profit community action agency dedicated to strengthening community and advancing the quality of people’s lives. Learn more at www.thehrdc.org. •