- This event has passed.
Homecoming Shoebox Parade Deadline
September 21 @ 5:00pm
The homecoming parade has become an annual tradition of MSU’s Homecoming Week. Students, alumni, faculty and staff, community members and visitors from around the country gather on main street in downtown Bozeman to show their school spirit, cheer on the Spirit of the West Marching Band, watch their favorite floats drive by, support local businesses and get amped for the big game. For the health and safety of our community, the in person parade isn’t happening, but to keep the tradition alive, the Montana State University Alumni Foundation is hosting a virtual Shoebox Parade.
You are invited to use materials from home to design and build a shoebox parade float and then submit photos of your creation using the online entry form at the bottom of this page. The deadline to submit your parade entry is Monday, September 21. The MSU Alumni Foundation will then create a parade video that will premiere during the Stay-HOMEcoming Week, September 28 – October 3.
How to Participate
Step 1: Create your float
Start with a “shoe box” base like a recently delivered online order box, an old shoe box, a crate, a tub, or a container of choice. Your float does not have to roll, it just needs to be homemade. Next, find materials around your house like flowers from your yard, craft supplies, construction paper, dolls/action figures, building blocks, paint, pictures, or anything else you can find to bring your vision to life! Lastly, using MSU’s Homecoming theme of Cats Across the Globe or Blue & Gold as your inspiration, start building your float! Entries can showcase an original design, recreate a historical parade float, or simply just tell your MSU story.
Step 2: Submit your entry by photo
Using the form below, submit photos and a detailed description of your float.
Step 3: Watch your float
Tell your friends & family to watch the parade and see your float featured in MSU’s 2020 Homecoming Shoebox Parade.
Rules and Requirements
- The Homecoming Shoebox Parade is open and free for any person, people, family, business, company or organization to enter. One entry per household, organization, or company.
- There are no size restrictions for floats, but all floats should be decorated and homemade.
- Entries must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Entry should not focus on political or controversial themes or issues. Use of any political material is not permitted.
- All entries must include a horizontal image of their float that is no larger than 10MB in size, as well as a detailed description of the float.
- All submissions must be received by 5 p.m. MDT on Monday, September 21, 2020 via the online entry form below.
- The MSU Alumni Foundation reserves the right to edit photos as needed, and to exclude any submissions that do not meet our guidelines or that feature content not aligned with our mission.